Monday, July 25, 2011

Rafiki Rwanda Village- Day 8- Monday

It's hard to believe we got here last Monday-- just a week ago!

We finished the last 5 kids in the clinic today!  I called for Olivier first since he was SO persistent over the weekend.














Every time I saw him during the weekend he would say "Me!  You will clean my teeth now?"  and I would say "no, Monday, we will clean your teeth Monday".  Then he would take my hand and lead to me where he was playing.  Cute boy!

After we finished up the kids, we moved on to the adults. Sherri cleaned off a LOT of calculus from the adult nationals teeth, as many of them had never had their teeth cleaned before.  None of them had much decay, because they don't eat much sugar or processed food, but they had never removed the plaque in-between their teeth from the heavy mineral water that had hardened into rock-like layers of calculus on their teeth.  This required a Cavitron (ultra-sonic scaler), and a lot of patience, to remove it.  Five of the adults had so much calculus that they had to come back a second time to get it all off.

Lunch today was at Mama Judiths!  Yay!  Except Enid had been moved to the opposite end of the table, away from me :(  I was very disappointed!  I guess I distracted her too much and she didn't eat quickly enough.

See her in the blue seat... couldn't get much further away.  But, I was happy to get to know the other sweet children seated next to me, and I knew I'd see her a lot more during this week, so I focused on that instead of my brief disappointment.














I worked with Joy all day in Excel--- we merged 3 lists of children's relatives together into 1 list... some of the lists were French names, some English and some Rwandan.  Quite a project!  Joy did such a good job and had great attention to detail.

She learned some formatting, inserting, highlighting & copy/paste functionality.  The hardest part of the project wad deciphering the handwriting of the names-- Joy was really good at that.

Monday night was so much fun in Mama Judith's cottage.  I read the devotionals and asked questions and the kids did so well listening & answering all my questions.  The kids listened with their whole bodies and faces-- what a joy!  I know Jesus must have been smiling at the sight of them!

On the way back to the Guest cottage, in the dark, Will jumped out at me from behind a parked vehicle, making pig noises!  Of course I screamed and then we both laughed all the way back to the cottage.  Stinker!  Barb and I are thinking of ways to get him back, because I found out he got her earlier! (more on this saga each day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment